

While Zhe Wei was away on a scenic road trip last weekend to visit the famous 'Marianne Chong's' Durdle Door in Weymouth and Corfe Castle in
Swanage, Dorset, I decided to go for a more adrenaline-pumping, less time consuming event!The 152nd Oxbridge Boat Race!
I first learntabout the intense rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge through the newspaper articlesEvery back in Singapore, where they would report on the annual boat race competition. So of course, I was psyched up for it when I heard about the event over the radio!
It's a 4 and 3/4 mile rowing event, even tougher than the olympic distance and teams had to row from putney bridge to mortlake admist the treachering conditions yesterday.

Yup, so there I was at Putney Bridge, making it just 30secs to spare b4 the race. Unfortunately, we weren't prepared for the throngs of crowds (mainly the Oxford and Cambridge supporters, and some whom we thought were from Imperial as well)

I only managed catch a glimpse of the actual rowers, and only whipped out my camera in time for the rest of the crew following behind. What a waste!
Since the race is only 18-19 minutes long, we proceded on to the bank of the river to watch the remainind on the big screen. That's a picture of Oxford just winning the race, bringing the tally to 73 (Oxford) - 78 (Cambridge)


Here's a picture (much nicer than getting it on the big screen *boo) taken from the official website http://www.theboatrace.org/ Great to read up on the history and more abt rowing. Will make sure I'm back next year, much earlier, beer (or maybe sth else) in hand to station myself for a better viewing and more heart-stimulating action.
No comments:
Post a Comment