Sunday, February 26, 2006

Oxford 9 - UL 18


It was one frustrating match to play today, almost enough to threaten me not to consider going to Oxford next year. So the friendly match turned out to be pretty physical, mostly with members of my team getting scratched, costumes being pulled and torn. Didn't help that the referee did not know the rules at all and allowed all the underwater wrestling to carry on to a BRUTAL level. I eventually had to tell one girl to calm down and she just rebutted with a 'don't expect me to be relaxed about it at the semi-finals next week' and my response is 'but this is a friendly, by all means be MEAN next week' (which will most likely get her kicked out). and she just went on trying to defend herself. in the end, both of us got sent out for 'violence' while I was trying to wriggle out of her grasp by flailing my arms about. I still don't understand the rationale of trying to hold back a player when 1) she is not at all in a threatening position 2) when the opposing player has not been intentionally evil *sigh*


My take on such violent playing is that you only need to be dirty because your skills are not good enough to take on your opponent. I don't really mind the grabbing too much, but only when necessary and without having to dig nails in. So maybe a certain form of toughness is required to keep alive in the game. The gym has been going well so far in reaching that targetted toughness.

Overall, I thought that the Oxford players were pretty haughty and over-confident. It is obvious that they are not any good without their strongest player today which is a pity which shows that the team is not well-rounded. I am especially proud of the UL girls today cos the teamwork is really showing through and starting to work for us (see newspaper article on our nail-biting qualification). I definitely don't agree with the statement above. These past 2.5 years interacting with my polo mates (esp Jenny) has taught me to stand up for your rights and fight for what you believe is yours and rightfully deserved. I don't think any of us are willing to give up our quest for the finals because of 'competitive jerks' who have no regard/respect for their opponents.

hmm..i think i'm too passionate about polo..getting too engrossed here...will leave it at this.

No comments: