Tuesday, May 09, 2006

What is the point of overseas voting?

Interesting article from straits times forum I thought, How overseas votes have yet to be counted for GE and the rationale for overseas voting. I didn't vote this time because I thought I was too 'immature' to make such a big decision. But maybe voting (or not) doesn't really matter?!? Anyhow, I'm surprised that I actually took an interest to the political scene recently despite having exams, will be looking forward to the next GE where I'll definitely vote, in Singapore.

May 9, 2006


DESPITE living in Britain while studying for a postgraduate degree, I wanted to be involved in the general election. I went through the trouble of signing up as an overseas voter and went to cast my vote at the Singapore High Commission in London on Friday.

However, I was chagrined to discover, after reading the news online, that overseas votes will be counted only on Wednesday.

This is after all the votes in Singapore have been counted, results have been tabulated, and the winners have been announced. Yet my vote languishes in a box somewhere, yet to be considered.

What is the point, then, of overseas voting? While 550 overseas voters may be considered a drop in the bucket of 1.22 million eligible voters, every vote counts, as it should. Logistical arrangements for eligible voters applying for overseas voting, the paperwork generated, opening up the high commissions, embassies and consulates in eight overseas locations, then shipping the votes back to Singapore to be counted, all these appear to be purposeless if overseas votes are not considered at the same time, and of the same importance, as local votes.

Could the Elections Department please comment?

Sheri Kristen Goh Kwee Hwa (Ms)London, Britain

No comments: